9 Sept 2007: Chidham v Hambrook - the Chidbrook Trophy.

Under baking sun the now annual Chidham v's Hambrook 20-20 cricket match was played out in front of a packed gallery of vocal supporters.

Chidham won the toss, decided to bat, and started their innings in determined fashion, looking to defend their title won last year and retain the ‘Chidbrook' cup.

Opening bat's Jonathan and Jo Exelby hit four boundaries off the first 2 overs before Jonathan played inside a quick one from Steve Clark, bowling up the hill and into the wind!

Jo followed the next over, in what was to prove a very tight spell of bowling from Tom Diver, including the wicket of Ashley Nute in his final over to a wonderful catch in the covers by Captain Gareth Haskett.

Gareth later found himself on a hat trick, in the 8 th over having bowled both Tony Young and Kurt Stetchman off successive balls.

I'm sure Kurt will not mind mention of his Golden Duck!

Gareth's son Josh also had a tidy spell, finishing with figures of 3 overs for only 12 runs.

However, despite determined fielding by Hambrook and a superb debut behind the stumps by Graham Bradshaw, Chidham took the aerial route in the 9 th with two massive sixes.

The scoring remained steady in the remaining overs.

Keith Davies fell in the penultimate over attempting to push up the run rate, and Chidham finally finished on 141 for 6.

Tea was served.

The Team Photos
Hambrook (Left to right)
Mark Spicer, Steve Clark, Philip Cleall, Steve Foye, Mike Smith, Josh Haskett, David Rodgers, Gareth Haskett, Tom Diver, Grahame Bradshaw, David Hall, and umpire Cliff Archer
Chidham(left to right)
Keith Davies, Kurt Stetchman, Jonathan Exelby, Tony Young, Stephen Johnson, Dave Calder, Jo Exelby, Philip Johnson, David George, David Russell, Ashley Nute, Herbie Small, Roy Chambers, and umpire Cliff Archer

Team photos were taken at the interval and everyone enjoyed the Pimms and cake-Hambrook a little too much as the reply started badly when Mike Smith was bowled off his pads after only 3 balls.

Runs were hard to come by and when Philip Johnson bowled Tom Diver in the 7 th over Hambrook were only 21 for 2.


Steve Clark had a bad day with the bat, bowled second ball by Kurt Stetchman for a duck - Kurts celebrations showing revenge is best served with a quick, one nipping back and removing middle stump!

Roy Chambers finished his bowling spell with a brace of wickets - David Hall and Steve Foye, both caught magnificently at mid-wicket by David Russell who also chipped in clean bowling Philip Cleall.

Jonathan and Jo Exelby bowled in tandem late on, both taking wickets in successive overs, ending the fine partnership of Gareth Haskett and Graham Bradshaw. Again both fell to catches. Chidham's fielding was to be a feature of the day.


Mark Spicer batted at number 10, too far down the order for most of the supporters liking, and his cameo gave Hambrook some respectability, 5 boundaries off the last 12 balls, but the slow start and regular fall of wickets meant Hambrook closed on 84 all out of the last ball.

The Chidbrook cup remains in Chidham for another year!

Steve Clark, on behalf of the web site association, thanked the players of both sides for a wonderful game and acknowledged the grateful help of Cliff Archer (Umpire) and scorers Mandy Rodgers and Carol Haskett, before handing the trophy to Chidham captain Stephen Johnson.

The cup was held aloft as it came back home to the Old House, where it will remain for at least another year.

Robin Yeld, Chidham's administrative captain, was informed of the victory by text. Sadly he was unable to share in his teams glory, being unavoidably detained by the Police.

Thanks to Steve Clark for the write up, and to Jane Young and Steve Clark for the photos